Work and Holiday Visa – Australia
Most information on the Internet seems to Europeans, Canadians and the few other nationalities that come from the 417 work visa holiday are targeted, but Americans have a different visa. For US citizens, we can only get the visa for work and holidays.
These are the same visa people from Bangladesh, Chile, Indonesia, Iran, Malaysia, Thailand and Turkey can enter and work. Why? I do not know, I think is probably something to do with the reciprocal visa situation for Australians who come to the United States. (Read about my experiences in Australia on work and a holiday visa.)
There are many reasons to work abroad, but once you have decided it may seem overwhelming. Here is a breakdown of everything you need to know about work and holiday visa and start your adventure in Australia.
About the Visa
No matter if you are an American thinking, coming to Australia to work for a year, you are lucky. Why? Because we worked earlier and worked four months! However, there are limits in these 12 months (from the day you enter the country which can at any time be within a year from the date of the visa).
- First, you need between the ages of 18 and 30 (and who have graduated from high school) to get the visa.
- Second, you can only work for an employer for six months.
However, they can perform any type of work (although you should check if your field has a special license or registration). I worked in fundraising TV (essentially a telemarketer for donations to large NGOs invited) and in a legitimate position in my field (marketing), as well as with a new company (marketing), so everything is really possible .
In these 12 months, you have the right to come and go from Australia as much as you want. That is, to visit your home or travel to New Zealand, South Pacific or even Southeast Asia, are all in the realm of the possible.
There is no minimum or maximum time, you must work (except for the above rule of six months).
You can work anywhere you want to take almost any type of job, and can even study up to four months on the visa. The work can be simple or difficult to find, depending on your expectations and / or the focus area. There are a lot of jobs for backpackers, because there are thousands of them working all over Australia at some point. Find out more about finding a job in Australia.
Applying for the Work & Holiday 462 Visa
The visa application is an incredibly simple process. You can apply (although they also accept paper applications) and once you have applied it can take as little as one day to a week intake (it took me a little less than a week and They were “secure”) online. Your “standard” claims on the government website is six days. They also claim that their request to do an interview, but I can not imagine that this happens unless you have something very, very strange or suspicious in your application or registration.
Here is the list, which lists the government immigration website, as your application requires, and those in bold are the ones I (as far as I know, unless I completely lost my memory) found that I really Required for:
- The visa fee (230AUD $ 420AUD $ from 2015)
- Certified copies of all the biographical pages of your passport (essentially the first page or two, I sent everything online and have nothing certified)
- Certified copies of birth certificates or family booklets with the names of both parents (not required in the passport)
- If you have changed your name (for example, through a marriage or writing inquiry), a certified copy of the change of name
- Two recent passport size photographs (45mmx35mm) of you. (I do not remember that I should add all this, but I may be wrong …)
- If you have served in the army of a country, certified copies of military service records or landfill papers.
- Proof of sufficient funds. A certified copy of a bank statement indicating access to adequate means of at least $ 5,000. (It seems rare that this evidence to the Fund really needs to show.)
- Detection of relevant instruction level. (I tried to close my college degree in the end but still get a mistake.I think no matter anyway …)
- Proof of health insurance, if necessary.
So basically, it does not take much! I invite you to at least have access to all these things, if you ask, but I would not insist too much. Otherwise, they ask for the health of something and the questions “character”, nothing too important.
Do You Need AUD$5,000 Proof of Funds?
The concern of many people is the bank statement indicating access to $ 5,000. There are rumors floating on the Internet from such and such a person that was asked (in the application process or at the airport), so I was scared, because I was more like $ 3,000.
But no one ever asked me and my plan if they did, was one that made one or all of the following:
- Say I do not copy a statement about me, but I can use your computer for a print (if it is at the airport, it probably would not bother) and / or, say I am Money shared between different accounts and do not I have all the statements about me (which would have been true)
- View my credit card with a $ 2,000 limit to save my butt if I really wear the bottom of the Rocks
- Ask them to send their parents to fund your account and / or show their statements of account and save me if necessary.
Do not worry, you’ll be approved and on the way to Oz in no time!
Before/When You Arrive
There is nothing wrong with starting your job search and finding accommodation at home, but most people (including myself) will tell you that it is better to wait and easier until What happened to you in Australia. Book a few nights or a week in a hostel and give yourself to relax a little time and enjoy your new surroundings a little.
To keep one thing in mind when you arrive for the first time, as soon as possible for your TFN (tax file number) apply. You have to start, make pay, and then it will probably take only a few days or a week to come to you, it is best to apply as soon as possible. You can register online, by phone or in person. You only need your passport information and an Australian address where you can send the number (so somewhere you intend to be for the next few weeks).
You should also try to open a bank account as soon as possible because you will need this information when you get a job and it is probably good to put some money in and start an Australian card. (Interest rates on savings accounts are also very good!)
Extending Your Stay
So, you can very well find that you want to love and stay in Australia (or maybe an Australian). Unfortunately, the Americans, as already mentioned, a little less than the other options.
Is the only significant drop of 462 visas compared to the 417 that we are not allowed to get fruit on a farm somewhere and extend our visas twelve months. Americans can not renew for the second year. However, if you find that you really want to maximize your time in Oz, there may be ways to extend your stay.
They are most likely the country for at least a short time off (a good excuse to spend a vacation in New Zealand or Fiji, or go home and see the family!). But you might be able to opt for another type of visa, how to study a student visa or if you have some skills to apply for a work visa (skilled migrants). Or if you want to do a little more travel around the country, you might be able to go out and come back with a visitor visitor. Your best bet, the Immigration Department directly contact and ask them what your options are.
Of course, there is the difficult to access sponsorship that you can aspire to. Most companies are not even close to the idea of sponsorship because it looks like a big pain, but if you really have something special in what you do, or are you ready, any kind of work at Do just to be to stay oz, then you might be able to solve anything. There are some backpacker-based companies that promise the possibility of sponsorship if you remain loyal to the business. The one that comes to mind is 2evolve made an organization based in Sydney, which face to face and remote fundraising.
Finally, if you have experienced the love of your life during your stay in Australia, you can also apply for a partner visa. Brooke Brookevstheworld did this, and from their chronicles it seemed to be a long and somewhat frustrating process. But if you are looking for a long-term commitment to Oz (and, of course, that special Australians) to do, this could be your best bet.